Saturday, September 15, 2018

On Proverbs 15

v1 A gentle answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger.
v2 The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable,
But the mouth of fools spouts folly.
v4 A soothing tongue is a tree of life,
But perversion in it crushes the spirit.
v7 The lips of the wise spread knowledge,
But the hearts of fools are not so.
v14 The mind of the intelligent seeks knowledge,
But the mouth of fools feeds on folly.
v23 A man has joy in an apt answer,
And how delightful is a timely word!
v28 The heart of the righteous ponders how to answer,
But the mouth of the wicked pours out evil things.

These 7 verses all relate to how we speak. I left off a few verses that talked about prayer (one specific type of speech). There are also several verses that talk about listening. Words are powerful. There are several negative results in these verses to avoid. I love the possibility of all the positive results though. My favorite of all of these is 23b - how delightful is a timely word!

1 comment:

  1. This morning, the benefits of a good attitude jumped out at me. Attitude: Seeing God’s Goodness. Seeing (finding) the good in my situations will refresh my “bones” (my inward parts) and put rejoicing inside me. Joy inside finds its way to my face and can be a continuous “feast” (celebration of good things).

    ReplyDelete