Sunday, September 30, 2018

On Proverbs 30

v 7-9 Two things I asked of You,
Do not refuse me before I die:
Keep deception and lies far from me,
Give me neither poverty nor riches;
Feed me with the food that is my portion,
That I not be full and deny You and say, “Who is the Lord?”
Or that I not be in want and steal,
And profane the name of my God.

An older gentleman recently told me that people seem to get greedier as they get older. I wonder if that is because (in general) they are seeking security in something besides God. The guy who wrote this (Agur) seems to be asking that he be protected from the temptation that too little or too much money might bring. There is no doubt that money brings temptation. It is probably a good idea to pray for strength to overcome that and any other temptation.

Today is the last day of September, so I plan to read chapter 31 tonight. I'm amazed at how the daily reminders in this book have kept so many ideas fresh on my mind. In looking back over the month, I've been reminded about so many key points of wisdom, including:

  • Lots of wise instruction on when to speak and when to keep my pie hole shut,
  • Encouragement to pass along what wisdom I possess to my children and grandchildren,
  • Don't be lazy,
  • Keep trying to learn - especially about how to honor God,
  • Overlook transgressions and don't hold a grudge, and
  • Treat material things properly.


Of course there are many many other wise sayings, but these ideas just keep popping up over and over in Proverbs.

1 comment:

  1. Pro 30:1-3: Being out of step with God is draining, but being in sync is energizing!

    ReplyDelete