Monday, September 24, 2018

On Proverbs 24

v17-18 Do not rejoice when your enemy falls,
And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles;
Or the Lord will see it and be displeased,
And turn His anger away from him.

It is really tempting to smile just a little when someone who has treated me badly has something bad happen. I don't really think I have enemies, but there are a few people who might disagree. I'm sure I've read this proverb many times, but I've not really taken the time to let it sink in. First of all, why would I have an enemy if I can help it? If, after I've done all I can to make a relationship the best it can be, and if it is still so bad that someone is an enemy, this proverb says I need to hope for the best for that person. It's sort of like Romans 12:20 (quoting Proverbs 25:21-22) - Instead, "If your enemies are hungry, feed them. If they are thirsty, give them something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals of shame on their heads." Romans takes the idea a little farther, but this proverb seems like the same idea.

3 comments:

  1. yep...that verse kind of hit me in the gut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pro 24:21: “My son, fear the Lord and the king, and do not join with those who do otherwise,” - I should cultivate a reverential respect for God & the civil authorities. I should avoid hanging with anyone who does otherwise. That includes honesty/dishonesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another reprise of “choose your friends wisely”.

    ReplyDelete