Sunday, September 23, 2018

On Proverbs 23

v9 Do not speak in the hearing of a fool,
For he will despise the wisdom of your words.

This one seems dangerous to me. Sometimes it is the fool who needs to hear about God's wisdom and His way of living the most. If I am silent, I may miss an opportunity to guide another into a saving relationship with God. I've seen this truth in action though. I've recently seen people overtly endorsing practices that are contrary to scripture and when challenged, they truly despise the wisdom from the Bible. The public spectacle of embracing same-sex "marriage" and looking on those who hold to biblical values as mentally deficient or at least uncultured is the prime example.
What to do? I try to be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit, and speak when prompted but remain silent unless I get the go-ahead. I'm not 100% sure I always choose the best route.

1 comment:

  1. Prov 23:1-3: “When you sit down to eat with a ruler, observe carefully what is before you, and put a knife to your throat if you are given to appetite. Do not desire his delicacies, for they are deceptive food.” - My take on this is that wisdom resists the tendency to take a shine to the trappings of power or wealth.

    ReplyDelete