Sunday, September 16, 2012

Psalm 1 - God's word as a priority

Psalm 1 ALL Read it.

Something that troubles me is to see people who attend church for 10 or 20 years, give, sing, fellowship, and otherwise seem to be nice people – suddenly turn away from all that they previously claimed to hold dear to pursue some other way of life. Sometimes leaving their wife or husband, children, and church to live a completely different lifestyle.

This type of action make me wonder, “Did the preacher’s sermons make any impact? Did the CG or Sunday School teacher make any impact? How did this person start down a path of rebellion?

I am convinced that people who make that kind of drastic life change, didn’t come to the decision overnight, but over a longer time. I also feel strongly that Preachers and SS teachers can only go so far, but as Psalm 1 teaches us, “Meditating on God’s law” consistently leads to blessings that ONLY God can give. I also think that ignoring God’s law, as revealed in His word, is a recipe for disaster in any life.

So, as a CG leader, one of the most important things I can do is to try to point everyone, including myself, in the direction of the Bible. That is where God is going to speak to you and to me.

Today, I want to go through some practical and useful ideas on how to be consistent in meditating on His law.

1)      What are some of the most common excuses for Christians NOT spending time reading and studying the Bible?
a.       I don’t have time.
b.      There are other things I have to do (Work, School, that take all my energy)
c.       I get enough Bible at church
2)       How can you get into the habit of daily Bible reading?
a.       One Year Bible
b.      Use a good translation for you
c.       Quiet place, regular time
d.      Pray before reading – Ask God to help you understand
e.      Talk about what you read! Husband, wife, friend, co-workers
f.        Add it to your calendar or todo list
g.       Change it up if it is not working!
h.      Technology – iPad, iPhone, Tablet, Computer

Bottom line – It has to be important to you.

                Your priorities will eventually triumph. Is God’s word a priority for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment