Sunday, November 27, 2011

Worshiping God Personally

This week we are going to consider worship from a personal standpoint. Not thinking about corporate worship, but individual one-on-one worship of God from our own heart.

How is individual worship different than the worship we experience as a group?

Luke 1:46-55
Mary’s Song of Praise: The Magnificat
46And Mary said,"My soul magnifies the Lord, 47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed; 49for he who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is his name.
50And his mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. 51 He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; 52 he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; 53he has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich he has sent away empty. 54He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy, 55 as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his offspring forever.

Remember how we discussed the idea that Worshipping God is a spiritual activity? (John 4)These verses demonstrate that by Mary’s description of her Soul and her Spirit.

We know Mary’s situation, what do these verses in particular tell us about her worship of God?
She feels blessed, she is focused on God, She is happy and rejoicing.

What parts of God’s character and actions are emphasized here?

As you worship God, what parts of God’s character and actions do you focus on the most? Why?

How does bringing these character components and acts help us to worship God?


Mary had a unique experience with God where she learned first-hand about God’s blessings.
Each time I worship God, I bring my own experiences and encounters with Him along with me. I don’t have any experiences like Mary’s but I do have some recurring things that I come back to over and over, Thanking God, and praising Him for. One of them is my family. Another is my health. Another is my church family. In each of these areas I have seen God demonstrate many of these same character traits that Mary cited in her song of praise. He has done great things for me, He is strong, He keeps his promises, I am blessed.

What personal experiences have you had that allow you to worship God in a personal way?


Personal worship should be personal. As you worship God during this Christmas season, remember to praise Him for something that He has revealed to you personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment