Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Object of our worship

Last week we talked about how worship is a spiritual act, something that arises in our hearts and should be done in spirit and in truth.
Today, we are going to look at a practical example of worship, focusing on who we are worshipping. One of the reasons we are able to worship God is because of His perfect character. Who God is and what He does in our lives gives us endless reason to worship Him.

As we read Psalm 138, let’s look at what it tells us about the object of our worship – our heavenly Father.

1 I will give You thanks with all my heart;
I will sing praises to You before the gods.
2 I will bow down toward Your holy temple
And give thanks to Your name for Your lovingkindness and Your truth;
For You have magnified Your word according to all Your name.
3 On the day I called, You answered me;

You made me bold with strength in my soul.
4 All the kings of the earth will give thanks to You, O LORD,
When they have heard the words of Your mouth.
5 And they will sing of the ways of the LORD,
For great is the glory of the LORD.
6 For though the LORD is exalted,
Yet He regards the lowly,
But the haughty He knows from afar.

7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me;
You will stretch forth Your hand against the wrath of my enemies,
And Your right hand will save me.
8 The LORD will accomplish what concerns me;
Your lovingkindness, O LORD, is everlasting;
Do not forsake the works of Your hands.

Taking this passage in 3 parts: Part 1 is 1-3
What does this passage say about the Psalmist’s attitude in the beginning?
What do these verses say about God?

Part 2 4-6
What does this passage say about God’s authority and position?
What about his connection with us?
What about his connection with the haughty?
disdainfully proud; snobbish; scornfully arrogant;

Part 3 7-8
What do these verses say about our trouble?
Which is more important – to know that God will accomplish what He intends, or to express that we know he will accomplish what He intends? (could be said about all this stuff, the expression and acknowledgment is the worship part).

No comments:

Post a Comment