Friday, January 28, 2011

Jesus Prayers Week 4

Content – What did Jesus pray about?
John 17 – Jesus High Priestly Prayer
As we read through this passage – Look for: Praise, Thanksgiving, Intercession, Supplication, and Confession.

Big Picture – What was the overall theme of this prayer?

Praise
In the OT the word for praise mainly used halal, the root meaning of which is
connected with making a noise; yada which was originally associated with
the bodily actions and gestures which accompany praising; and zamar, which
is associated with the playing or singing of music. (New Bible Dictionary)
Definition: to commend; applaud; to express approval or admiration of; to extol in words or in song; to magnify or to glorify. We praise God by directly by expressing our admiration for Him. We praise God by declaring, commending or magnifying Him to others. Praise is pre-occupied with who God is and what He has done.

• V3 the only true God
• V7 everything you have given me is from you
• V12 Given His name to Jesus
• V17 Your word is truth
• V25 You sent Me (Jesus)

Thanksgiving
• Mark 14:22 – Jesus took bread, gave thanks, and broke it.
Why is this element difficult to see in this prayer?
Does this mean it is not important?
What does this say about formulas for prayer?


Intercession
• V9-11 I ask on their behalf, keep them in your name – that they may be one even as we are one.
• V13 that they may have my joy made full in themselves.
• V15 keep them from the evil one
• V17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is the truth
• V20-21 they may all be one; even as you are in me and I am in you.

Supplication
• V1 Glorify your son, that the Son may glorify you
• V5 Glorify Me together with yourself, with the glory I had with you before the world was.
• V24 Be with me where I am.
Confession
Obviously Jesus had no sin to confess. But confession can be confession of sin, confession of faith, or acknowledging our own condition or actions before God.

• V4 I glorified you on the earth, having accomplished the work which you have given me to do.
• V6 I have manifested your name to the men You gave me out of the world.
• V8 I have given them the words you gave me.
• V11 I am no longer in the world.
• V12 While I was with them, I was keeping them in your name which you have given me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that scripture would be fulfilled.
• V13 I come to you.
• V14 I have given them your word.
• V22 The glory which you have given me, I have given them, that they may be one, just as we are one.
• V25 I have known you.
• V26 I have made your name known to them.


What can we learn from this prayer?
Jesus had a purpose for this prayer.
Jesus focused on his relationship with the Father even amongst the other element of the prayer.
Unity is important.

Psalm 24 –The King of Glory

1 comment:

  1. No, we can not pray like the prayers of Jesus Christ if we aren't in His tune. To be at Him is to live with Him, not just Jesus inside in your heart but Jesus the He in yourself, then we can claimed that prayer we have is like the supplication of Jesus Christ Himself doing in Us, then that would be the moment others see Jesus in us.

    ReplyDelete